The results are in! This fall, MISTER users from across the globe pitched in to help us celebrate the winners of the first annual #iamMISTER Awards, honoring those who make the LGBTQ community a better place for all of us. The responses, submitted by users of the MISTER app, showed that the gay community may be growing in ways that would have been unexpected, even a few years ago.
We believe the children are the future. Bullying (27%) overtook gay marriage (24%) as the most urgent issue facing the gay community in 2013. Safer sex and HIV prevention came in a distant third at only 16%. However, those in the South and Midwest were most likely to still see marriage as the most pressing issue.
Politics have begun to trump identity. Some of the biggest winners were not LGBT themselves. Barack Obama (Politician who best represents the interests of the gay community) and Macklemore (Recording artist who contributed most to LGBT culture in 2013) bested gay-card holders like Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) and Frank Ocean.
We look for nuanced stories over boosterism. Despite the less than flattering portrayal of gay life, respondents flocked to honor Liberace-biopic Behind the Candelabra by a wide-margin. (42%)
There are some things we can all agree on. No matter whether they hail from, our MISTERS love some things pretty much universally, including the Human Rights Campaign, Ellen Degeneres and web-series Where the Bears Are!
Our Disappointment Is Supreme. Antonin Scalia’s comparisons between the morality of gay sex and the morality of murder earned him the dubious honor of becoming the first recipient of #iamMISTER’s Shame On You award, for most offensive comments about the gay community. He beat out Focus on the Family’s James Dobson, and Televangelist Pat Robertson.
All #iamMISTER winners will be allowed to message the over 1 million users MISTER app users. From the beginning, we imagined ourselves as a new type of social network — one that would help you find a good man, as well as a hot one. If you think that working for a better gay community is as attractive as a pair of six pack abs, we encourage you to join the #iamMISTER movement.
Full results of the survey are below.
- News outlet that best reports relevant issues: Huffington Post Gay Voices
- Public figure that best portrays positive image of gay community: Ellen DeGeneres
- Advocacy organization that does the most for the gay community: Human Rights Campaign
- Recording artist that has contributed most to gay culture this year: Macklemore
- Best web series about gay life: Where the Bears Are
- TV show that best represented homosexual people: Modern Family
- Most compelling gay story in film: Behind the Candelabra
- Politician that best supports the gay community: Barack Obama
- “Shame on You” award for the most offensive comments about the gay community: Justice Antonin Scalia, for comparing homosexuality to murder
- Most important issue facing the gay community: The bullying of gay teens
- Fundraiser group or event that contributes most to the local gay community: AIDS LifeCycle
- Local media outlet with the highest quality coverage of gay news and events: Frontiers
- Bar or club that most enhances local gay life: The Abbey
- Favorite gay-owned local business: Andrew Christian Boutique
- Gay nightlife personality that makes life in LA better: RuPaul
- Fundraising group or event that contributes most to the local gay community: Gay Men’s Health Crisis
- Media outlet that has the highest quality coverage of gay news and events: The Village Voice
- NYC bar or club that most enhances local gay life: The Eagle
- Favorite gay-owned local business: Rainbows & Triangles
- Gay nightlife personality that makes life better: Lady Bunny
- Fundraising group or event that contributes most to the local gay community: AIDS LifeCycle
- Media outlet providing the highest quality of coverage of gay news and events: The Bay Area Reporter
- Bar or club that most enhances local gay life: The Eagle
- Favorite gay-owned local business: Worn Out West
- The gay nightlife personality that makes life better: Sister Roma